Barcode Assistant allows BlackBerry users to scan and create QR (2D) barcodes directly on their devices. It integrates into the Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks, allowing barcodes to be scanned generated directly from within these PIM applications.
Creating barcodes from within the PIM applications is very simple. Just select the contact, appointment, or task, then choose “View Barcode” from the menu. You can share contact information, create a meeting/appointment barcode for others to scan and add to their calendar, and share tasks right from your BlackBerry screen.
Barcode Assistant also generates and scans barcodes directly from within the BlackBerry native browser. If you want to share the current web page, just select “View Barcode” from the browser menu!
- Save to your address book, making a simple way to add contacts.
- Send an e-mail directly from the scanned image.
- If a BlackBerry PIN is included, you can send a PIN message to that contact.
- Call the person (if multiple numbers are entered, you are given a choice of numbers to call).
- Browse websites.
- Send SMS messages.
Scanning barcodes that include individual information (like just a website, phone number, or e-mail address) displays options to use the scanned information, or save it to a contact. Barcode Assistant also generates and scans barcodes directly from within the BlackBerry native browser. If you want to share the current web page, just select “View Barcode” from the browser menu!
Barcode Assistant makes it easy to create barcodes. The Quick Create options give you simple entries for creating:
- Website URLs.
- E-Mail addresses.
- Phone numbers.
- SMS (number and message).
- Geo locations.
The Geo location option even lets you generate the latitude and longitude using your BlackBerry GPS!
Generating barcodes from contacts can be done from within Barcode Assistant, or directly from the Contact List. Creating barcodes from your Calendar, Tasks, and web browser can be done directly from those apps as well.
Barcode Assistant was made to make using QR barcodes easy. With Barcode Assistant, you can:
Barcode Assistant v1.0 is available in BlackBerry World for BlackBerry devices running BBOS version 5 and 6 operating systems. The main difference between these two versions is BB6 scans automatically where 5.0 is manual (you have to click to capture the barcode image).
Additional Screen Shots:
Known Issues (v1.0.1):
- On the BlackBerry 9700 running OS 5.0, some have had problems getting autofocus to start (by clicking the trackpad, space bar, or enter key). Changing the camera resolution to 1024×768 (Settings screen) seems to resolve this.
- When the image does not seem to scan, most of the time, the problem is having the BlackBerry too close to the image. Make sure you are at least 6″ away from the barcode. The camera’s autofocus needs to lock onto the image. If there isn’t enough distance between the camera and image, it won’t have a chance to focus properly.